The Vortexbox appliances are designed to work with SBs. The OS is a
variant of Fedora (Linux) and it has Squeezebox Server (SBS) and other
useful audio software, including ripping software, already installed. It
is a normal PC, designed to be run headless. So it clearly satisfies
your #1. As for #2, since it's a normal PC, you should be able to
transfer files to a portable player. However, if your iPod requires
iTunes then you'll have to do it through a different pc, because there
is no iTunes for Linux. Search the forum for a lot of user comments on
the Vortexbox appliance, which are generally positive. My server is more
or less a DIY version of the Vortexbox appliance: same MSI nettop base,
but with no optical drive, more RAM, and a quieter, greener, 2.5" 500GB
laptop hard drive. Mine runs Ubuntu.

As far as I know the Olive will not work with SBs, or if it does, it
would require some major hacks to whatever OS it runs. I don't know
anything about the MusicM8 device, but I doubt it will work with SBs
either. Neither the Olive nor the MusicM8 software use the slimproto
protocol, which is what SBs speak.

--
aubuti