MrSinatra;482266 Wrote:
> i love limewire and shareaza.
>
> its only illegal IF its copyrighted, afaik.  so how do you know?  thats
> the risk i suppose.  but then again, the RIAA isn't instigating any new
> cases anymore, so i wouldn't worry.
>
> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_downloading_songs_from_LimeWire_illegal_or_legal
>
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122966038836021137.html?mod=rss_whats_news_technology
This isn't quite correct. I am not a lawyer, but I know a few things
about copyright protection. Most music is copyrighted. Most copyright
holders do not allow free distribution of their music via the internet.
Some copyright holders do allow specific pieces to be distributed free
of charge. Like the subsequent example MrSinatra gives of live Dead or
Phish shows, or new bands offering free downloads to get some exposure
-- the bands (or their labels) hold the copyright to those tunes, and
have decided to make it freely available. In short, most music is
copyrighted, but that says nothing about whether or not it is legally to
download it over services like Limewire.

--
aubuti