andyg wrote:
> Non-ASCII chars are handled by creating a bitmapped version of the
> character from a font file.  So at smaller font sizes these can look a
> bit weird I guess as less pixels are available to render the character.

No, it's not that.  They really are borked.  To me it looks like when a
smoothly-aliased grayscale font has been forced to a 2bpp rendering.  (The
glyphs show up as mostly black, with vestiges of the strokes.)

> I have some Japanese tags and they look fine to me.  Maybe you can take
> a picture and show what you mean?

I fixed it by reverting to servers 7.2.1 and 7.3.4 (which installed SB3
firmwares 113 and 127, respectively).

Still closing in on the version that broke it, but it definitely was broken
with server 7.4.2 and firmware 130.  I will post a photograph when I manage to
break it again.

-Owen