andyg wrote:
> Non-ASCII chars are handled by creating a bitmapped version of the
> character from a font file.  So at smaller font sizes these can look a
> bit weird I guess as less pixels are available to render the character.
> I have some Japanese tags and they look fine to me.  Maybe you can take
> a picture and show what you mean?

I managed to reproduce my original problem while experimenting with SoftSqueeze
and SBS on Windows.  Something is simply wrong with the font rendering/scaling.
 The graphics must be provided by the server (?) because the problem follows
the server, not the player.  Reinstalling the server eventually seems to make
the problem go away.

Here are screenshots of a SoftSqueeze "Transporter" displaying the same artist
(Yoshimura Yumi, FWIW) correctly (connected to SBS 7.4.2 on Ubuntu) and
incorrectly (connected to SBS 7.4.1 on Windows).

http://owen.theemrys.com/sb_jp_fonts/

Regards,
Owen