pfarrell;495433 Wrote:
> Mnyb wrote:
> > If SOX would make 16/48 out of 24/96 instead of 24/48 I'm sure one of
> > those paranoid audiophiles would have cried foul in the audiphile
> > section ;)
>
> Making 16/48 out of 24/96 is trivial, any embedded processor can do
> that, just throw away every other sample, and truncate them all to 16
> bits using a shift-right by eight instruction.
>
> Converting 24/96 to 16/44.1 or even 24/44.1 is a different matter
> completely. Doing it "right" is not just simple division.
>
> --
> Pat Farrell
> http://www.pfarrell.com/

But it is doing 24/48 right ?

btw should you not use dithering of some kind when going 24>16 ?
truncation is simple but i think they use more finesse these days .

And SOX is not just throwing away every other sample either, that was
what the SB3 did internally that would get you aliasing problems ? and
other problems to ?
some filtering must be done to ensure no content above 1/2 the target
sample rate exist when lowering the sample rate .
I have no clue to what sox sample rate conversion algorithm is btw, but
I'm sure it is a lot more than throwing 1/2 of the samples away
otherwise it would not use 70% of my cpu on my 1,2gHz server ,. So it
must employ some kind of digital filter to I think .

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: SB3 (soon to replaced by a Touch :) It is on preorder)
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Receiver (soon to be replaced by my SB3 and the SBRto be
stuffed in a box in the attic )
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
controll this