Tried ASIO win32 - plays great.
Had to install an ASIO driver http://www.asio4all.com/
This piped through an analog devices -Soundmax Digital HD Audio- that
hands the stream off to a receiver via s/pdif.
Nice to be able to avoid direct sound. Can't hear a difference other
than what can be attributed to psychological effects - but I seldom have
other sounds playing.

That said, it doesn't seem to be exiting gracefully when passed a ctl-C
(sound stops but cmd window is hung).  Similarly, if I simply close the
cmd window, sound stops, but the cmd window is frozen until I get the
win system message "windows is unable to close this application..."

For the uninitiated the issue ASIO addresses is that DS merges audio
streams. So it messes with latency and probably has to do some
resampling. No beef with MS, this is part of their "support minimal
hardware" policy. Most audio devices these days can handle at least a
couple of streams, but MS needs to run on old stuff too.
For simple playback, I don't care about latency, although I might if I
was trying to synchronize software and hardware players - I -do- care
about resampling, though. Up to now there hadn't been much I could do
about it, other than buy a hardware player to go next to my PC - so this
is pretty cool.

Thanks for ASIO support!
Bob

--