results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73698
Question: Is third party plugins/applets important for your Squeezebox
purchases ?

- I won't buy any more Squeezebox products unless support for third
  party development is prioritized
- I won't buy any more Squeezebox products unless the third party
  plugins I rely on is supported
- I use third party plugins but I would still consider buying more
  Squeezebox products without them
- I don't use third party plugins so they aren't important to my
  Squeezebox purchases

It's a moot question for me, since I've already frozen/forked the server
at 7.3.1. What tipped me over the edge was the Transporter's firmware
being reflashed without so much as a by-your-leave, and the nexus
between firmware and server version when Transporter firmware bugs seem
to come and go. I don't care to have an A$3000 device bricked, and the
Transporter is working well now. (I'm referring here particularly to the
Optical In bug.)

Having made that decision, plugins become problematical for me to
install, because their authors probably test against the latest
version.

I'd like to say something about the quality of documentation for these
plug-ins. Erland's plug-ins look useful for my classical collection, but
as long as I can't understand what they are doing (as opposed to blindly
following a setup recipe) and I can relatively easily hack the server
itself they're not something I care to tangle with. Nor, as far as I can
see, do they fully solve the classical problem.

Whether or not Logitech decide to open a plug-in API for third parties,
they have little choice but to break existing plug-ins and go quiet on
their developers while that is shaken down. My reading of the SQL schema
is that it has major design problems. The move away from perl to Lua and
C is also IMO a good and necessary thing if the server is to be reliable
- go and look at the server's hand-rolled Unicode normalization for a
few favoured characters and tell me otherwise.

P.S. not even the forum software works properly...

--
peachmelba