My collection of music has steadily grown, but it is not THAT big(12000
songs in Apple Lossless). However, the responsiveness and performance
of the SlimServer has continually decreased to the point of being a
serious problem.

Here is a specific example of the problems I am encountering. I can be
browsing music on the Squeezebox by Genre, if I ask it to display all
the ALBUMS, well the Squeezebox will just freeze up. No responsiveness
at all. After about 20-30 seconds, the Squeezebox will say it can't
communicate or locate the SlimServer. If you just sit and wait, it will
finally come back. However, this is ridiculous & unacceptable. I have
configured the Slimserver to use iTunes or not to use it and the
performance problem is the same.

I have both Squeezebox wireless and Squeezebox 2 wireless. The
performance problem is identical on both types of units. This makes me
assume that the problem lies in the SlimServer software. Either the
application or the database is seriously limited.

Does anyone know what the performance bottleneck is in this software?
Is Slim Devices planning on resolving this issue? Is there another
software server alternative which does not have this kind of problem?

I love the concept of the Slim Devices Squeezebox, but this performance
issue is really its worst characteristic.

--
Eric H