Thanks for the feedback on all of this.
I don't have a PC and if I did I really would not like to have one
running all the time.
The Sheevaplug looks like a great wee solution, and something I'd be
happy to have running next to my router.
I'd held off going down that route in the hope that the iPlayer would
work on the Touch. This looks like a possible, but given the lengthening
delivery schedule, I might not wait to find out.
I definitely like the ease of use for me and my family of 'rental'
music in the cloud via Napster (or other delivery system).
I don't really mind that it is not of the greatest quality as I still
buy physical music and listen to that on the stereo in the other room -
on those rare occasions that I have to time to lock myself away...

--
keif