SqueezeeBox recognizes my compilation (AKA various artists) albums
without there being a compilation tag at all.
I also have albums that have a number of artists, but that are not
considered to be compilations. The difference? The ones that are not
have the same AlbumArtist. This is great for me as I have a number of
albums in which a particular artist only performs on a couple of tracks
- and I'd like those tracks to appear when I look for music by that
artist.
So... maybe add an AlbumArtist field to the albums that are being
incorrectly recognized as compilations.
I'm not sure what ID3 tag that would be (I'm all FLAC, which is Vorbis
tags).
I'd also second the MP3Tag recommendation.

And, as an idle thought, you might also create a compilation tag and
set it to 0. But again, I don't use compilation tags at all - and the
system works as it should.

--
bobkoure