bhaagensen;510959 Wrote:
> Sorry, but I don't think this argument holds water. It is assuming
> everyone can be bothered to: buy, own, maintain, pay for, allocate space
> for, have some remote interest in - a server. I doubt that is the case
> for the general public - at least not to an extent where it makes sense
> to rule out the option.
Obviously there are several markets, or at least market segments. For
my own use, I feel pretty much the same way as Pablo, and I imagine
that's true of a lot of current SB users. But a lot of people balk at
"having a computer on" to play music, ignoring the fact that NASs or
some of the devices in the OP *are* computers.

As a glimpse of one of the other market segments, last week I went to a
friend's housewarming party. A brand new, big, $2m house. And among the
technological items that impressed people was a little recess in the
kitchen wall where you could stick an iPod and it would play through the
in-ceiling speakers. I didn't notice if they were in other rooms of the
house, but they probably are. I asked my friend what brand the system
was, and he said "I have no idea. Whatever the contractor installed." He
and his wife are both computer savvy (though their PhDs are in
economics, so they lose a few points for that...), but they just wanted
an easy solution.

As for the $1k-and-up market that are in the OP, I think that Logitech
is choosing not to compete in this market. They'll keep selling the TP
for a while, but I don't see any successor to the TP under Logitech's
ownership.

--
aubuti