macsband;515528 Wrote:
> My intention was not to improve sound quality because the literature
> states that lossless = lossless.  I did not anticipate a change in sound
> quality.  My intention was to get away from Apple's proprietary way of
> doing business.  However several people have listened to the system
> before and after.  The difference is not subtle; it's so dramatic that
> everyone immediately commented, even before they knew that I had made
> any change to the system.
>
> SqueezeBox Server Version 7.4.1
> Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (updates current)
>
> Player > Audio > Bitrate Limiting = No Limit
>
> I re-ripped several CDs (classical and pop) and played the same track
> in different versions: the ALC version, the converted FLAC version, and
> the ripped FLAC version.  There was a dramatic audible difference
> between the ALC and both FLAC versions.  There was no audible difference
> between either FLAC version.

Is there any possibility that your ALAC rips were not truly ALAC
encoded?

I ask because both ALAC and AAC encodings go in the same .m4a container
and it is possible to confuse the two.

If you had converted your files directly from ALAC to FLAC using
dBpoweramp and gained sound quality from doing so, I'd have ruled out
the mis-encoding question above, but you mention re-ripping so I have to
ask...

Next, if you have two encodings of the same file, one of which sounds
mediocre and the sounds good, then try listening to them both in another
player with some good headphones.  You have MediaMonkey installed,
IIRC.

There is a chance that Replaygain or Soundcheck settings somehow are in
play here.

If they still sound different in a software player, then I'd suspect
the the encoding is wrong. If they only sound different when played back
through a SqueezeBox system, I might begin to suspect the transcoding
s/w binaries are not working as they should (but it's odd that others
haven't noticed this).

--
dsdreamer