I recently bought an HP EX485 MediaSmart server mainly to run squeezebox
server for a squeezebox duet.  After the EX485 took 3-4 days to simply
create the library and index the mp3's, I realized that the server was
not going to be able to handle a large library.  I upgraded the server
processor from a single core 2 ghz celeron to a dual core 2.8 ghz E6300
pentium processor.  My server and my squeezebox receiver are hardwired
into my uverse router, and I can get decent performance if I access my
library from a browser.  However, if I use the duet controller or ipeng,
the connection can take minutes to list the files or time out when I try
and access certain genres or categories.

I am a little disappointed that I am having so much trouble just trying
to stream to a single squeezebox receiver. My real question is how much
hardware is needed to run squeezebox server reliably and be able to
stream to multiple receivers with a library of 100,000 mp3's?

Does anyone with a large collection have any advice on getting better
performance from my library or at least the wireless controllers?

Thanks!

--
longhornalum