On Wednesday 21 September 2005 12:52, Dan Goodinson wrote:
> My server is more or less dedicated, as is basically just a fileserver.
>
> Having said that, there is one other app which is constantly running -
> "Folding At Home".  (Kind of similar to "Seti At Home" or whatever).  As
> a result, my CPU is permanently at 100% usage.  Even then though, I
> can't think of any problem I've ever had with SS running as a service.
> Any problems I've encountered have, as far as I can tell, always been
> related to interference.
>
> The server is not a particularly high spec - it's a Celeron 1.4GHz with
> 512MB RAM.  Most of the hardware was cobbled together out of spares, in
> fact.
>
> I've never had any concerns about SS - I've never found it to be
> flaky...

I would agree with this.  I've got a 2GHz celeron with 768M of memory that
cost me about £250 and it is supplying 3 clients from the slim server and
running a couple of 15000+ page dynamic websites (java / mysql) as testing
platforms for clients and there is never any problem unless the wireless
network is clogged with other traffic.

The web interface is occasionally slow to update, but has never interrupted
the audio stream as a result.  I've got 12,000 flac files currently being
served up with at least one client using LAME to encode them on the way.

Off topic:  I am looking at making a web front end for the slim server that
controls the box over the CLI using my application server (for examples of
existing sites using this see www.fiennes.org).  My primary motivation on
this is to have an easier way of annotating information about the music using
my CMS, but the performance will probably be slightly better than the
existing perl engine.  I'll let people know how this gets on if they are
interested...

Alex