>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 09/21/05 9:40 AM >>>
> The truth of the matter is that the squeezebox software is, and
> always has been, very flakey.

Been running on various machines for about 2 years.  Very few
problems.  None in the last 18 months that prevented music from
playing.

> If you can give it a dedicated system, with nothing else running,
> and no competition for bandwidth, it now seems mostly okay. If
> you can't give it that level of resource, then, in my experience,
> you're going to have constant, recurrent hassle.

Like you said, in your experience.  In my experience, I've got a
low-end celeron 2.2ghz box running not only slimserver, but Asterisk,
MythTV, Big Brother, RRDTool, and a few other smaller apps.
Plus it functions as my squid proxy, bind, samba and cups
servers and I still have an uptime of 150+ days.  If I didn't have to
power it down to put it on my UPS, it would have been up to
about 400 days by now.

Then again, I do unix sys admin at work, and my box runs like
a top at home with my kids using it for the occasional game of
tux racer too.

I don't think I'd ever use windows to run slimserver, although.
YMMV.  And I've never tried wireless.  That seems to be the
cause of most of the problems.

Paul