Hi Erland. The short answer to these questions is that I don't know, although
I've tried to discover, as far as I am able with no knowledge either of
AppleScript or tagging.  I certainly cannot find the info itself in the .xml
file, and the contents of the PDF, which run to several pages, are definitely
not there. This appears to be the only section that might be relevant in the
details for one track which has a PDF attached to it, but I see nothing
different there from any other track that does not have an attached PDF.

v0.99pb4 </string>
                        <key>Persistent

I would think that the answers would be clear from the AppleScript itself (as
revealed in script editor) to anyone who knows AppleScript and about tagging.
That, I'm afraid, is not me.

The PDF shows in the iTunes interface as a track name in the album to which it
is attached, with its own shortcut icon, namely, a picture of a book on the
right hand margin of the "Name" field.

Whatever there is can only be a pointer for iTunes to the full PDF which is
listed in Finder with the usual extension of .pdf along with the music files:
in the folder for the relevant album within the iTunes music folder (a folder
on an external FW disk, in my case, not the normal Media folder). It can be
opened and read by either Preview or Adobe Reader - depending on the default
PDF reader set - by double clicking on it in Finder in the usual way,
completely independently of iTunes. Double clicking in iTunes opens the file in
the default PDF reader in a new window.

Geraint.