moley6knipe;526797 Wrote:
> Transcoding to flac shows on my devices shows as "converted to
> 700ishkbps ABR".  I'm presuming that alac>flac takes less work than
> alac>mp3 thus more chance of the server getting it all right in time to
> stream, thus less problems in streaming over wi-fi - is that about
> right?

Muuuch less. Don't know about ALAC but you need to decode that anyway,
and you can do flac encoding completely on an integer basis, this takes
way less load than mp3.

You are correct that you can theoretically get a higher range with
lower bandwidth but I don't think there are any modes below 11MBit/s in
modern WiFi networks so plenty of capacity left. Plus if you need that
your coverage will probably be spotty causing trouble with streaming at
any bitrate,

The biggest issue I could see is that the server has to do a bit of
real-time processing to get the sync done right and if it transcodes in
the same process this can get spotty. I also don't think lame is
optimized for real-time operation.

--
pippin

---