Hi everyone, thanks for all the tips, I'll have a play.  Can't use
NetStumbler as have no wi-fi card in my PC but have only scanned thru
docs so far so I may be wrong.

Yes, when streaming to all 3 of my devices in sync everything streams
to all players as 192 mp3 at the moment.

@ Pippin
Please try turning off mp3 transcoding. You won't extend anything
through that any WiFi coverage will be good enough for a single flac
stream.
Scheduling on windows isn't particularly good and while transcoding to
mp3 will not bring your server down it can be enough to kill sync
timing

...thanks for that, will try.  I'd assumed that the lower the bitrate
the less signal strength needed to transmit it and therefore further
distance possible.

Transcoding to flac shows on my devices shows as "converted to
700ishkbps ABR".  I'm presuming that alac>flac takes less work than
alac>mp3 thus more chance of the server getting it all right in time to
stream, thus less problems in streaming over wi-fi - is that about
right?

--
moley6knipe

WinXP Pro SP3 > dBpoweramp Reference 13.3 > SqueezeCenter 7.4.2 >
Squeezebox 3 > ears