good analysis clive. Although not a good answer for Sam given this means
that many of his CDs need to be reripped. I'm not an EAC user (dbpa for
me), but the drive offset issue seems plausible. And the "fill missing
offset with silence" sounds dangerous to me on its face (but again, I
have no knowledge of the settings).  I suppose the only partial good
news is that the extra silence is irrelevant for 99% of his rips as
they already have silence between tracks. So there is probably only a
very small number of rerips needed (live albums and a handful of studio
albums).

p.s. Sam, I feel your pain. A number of years ago I ripped thousands of
my CDs to high quality mp3. I didn't know enough and I've since been on
a project to rerip everything to FLAC.

--
garym