I think I might have found the problem.  I've been updating my tags  and
just checked some recent albums to which I have added track titles.  All
of them are listed correctly via slim server.  I did a search on the two
albums in question: Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man and Burning Spear -
Marcus Garvey.  No artists came up for either, but both albums did.
However, the artists names were listed as part of the album titles.

I went and opened both albums in a tag reader and found out that
neither of them had track numbers assigned via tags, nor years, nor
track titles.  Maybe this is the problem.  What is funny, though, is
that both albums had the correct artist name and album name listed in
separate tags.  I am going to retag these two albums and see what
happens.

--
kmcdonou