leif;550578 Wrote:
> Can I use ethernet cat6 to span 600 ft right out of my existing router
> directly into squeeze box? I am told 300 ft is maximum wired range. Can
> I double this range to 600 ft. by using two 300 ft cat6 lines joined in
> the middle with a $20 ethernet switch? Does switch require electricity?
> If so, is there one that runs on battery? I won't be able to easily
> extend an extension cord to switch.
>
> Alternatively can someone advice on a router/antenna solution for
> around 400 ft? I tried using a dir655 router but even though squeezebox
> in shack could see network the wifi signal wasn't strong enough.
>
> As a last resort can I buy two ActionTec MI424-WR routers around $40
> each and set them up as a bridge as seen below in my second post and
> have one sitting beside my uverse router/modem and have the other
> MI424-WR in my shack 600 ft away where my squeezebox is? And use 600 ft
> of coax to connect the two MI424-WR's?

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

I am assuming since you have a Squeezebox at the 600 feet away location
that you have AC power there? If you are in the States, why not use
Powerline Networking? Also on the 600 ft CAT 6 cable, I would guess
that it wouldn't meet the standard anymore for all features to work as
spec'd but should still work fine for having only a Squeezebox
connected.

As for antenna solutions, if the mounting is available for true fixed
hardpoint, 600 feet is nothing. Solution A would be a hog fence antenna
or maybe a MFJ 1800 yagi to see if a single high gain antenna can put
enough signal in the location and have enough RX gain to hear the SB
talk back (the hardest part). Solution B would be a yagi (attached to
router with low loss coax pigtail) pointed just at the edge of the
nearest outside location with a yagi to receive this signal. The second
yagi (on outside location) would have low loss cable attached to a
quarter wave antenna. This second part (yagi attached to quarter wave)
becomes a bi-directional antenna circuit. The reason not to point the
yagi directly at the location but at the outside edge is to isolate the
SB from receiving directly from the house side yagi forcing it to use
the quarter wave to yagi setup. We used these setups to find people
trapped in buildings that still had a working cell phone or text pager
but couldn't log into the tower due to lack of signal strength. If
power is available at the outside location, smaller antennas can be
used by installing a BDA (bi-directional RF amp).

In the end it might just be easier to buy a Touch and take it and a USB
drive to the other location when needed.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Mains, VCC-5
Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide
AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: Second Boom