PencilNeckGeek;551929 Wrote:
> OK, here's the scenario. I have imported a CD into i-Tunes in .WAV file
> format. I have no volume leveling features enabled within i-Tunes and
> the final Bitrate on all songs is listed as 1411kbps within the i-Tunes
> window.
>
> I have my Squeezebox Server setup to use i-Tunes. When I play one of
> the songs within the Squeezebox Web Console and look at the Song Info
> while it's playing I see the following info listed below:
>
> Bitrate: 1411kbps CBR (Converted to 705.6kbps ABR)
>
> Who can tell me the reason why the song appears to be down converted
> while playing? Is this a product of i-Tunes over stating the actual
> Bitrate to 1411kbps and the True Bitrate is actually 705.6kbps?
>
> Also, on some songs I see a combination of the info listed above as
> well as this info below regarding the Volume:
>
> Volume Adjustment: -5.49 dB (this value fluctuates up or down with the
> highest value observed so far as being -11.xx db)
>
> Is this Volume Adjustment a product of the recording studio or
> something that the Transporter is doing?
>
> I have the Transporter hard set to %100 volume at all times within the
> Audio Settings page. My fear is that I am losing Dynamic Range and
> sound quality as a result of this Bitrate & Volume adjustment
> behavior.
>
> Is there a way to avoid this from happening? Would keeping all music in
> the Transporters native .flac format prevent this behavior? I'm
> wondering if by having these songs in .WAV format and forcing the
> Transporter to use some other, none native codec it is causing me to
> miss out on all the Bits I'm entitled to hear.
>
> Thanks for any info you can provide

1) ignore the ABR bitrate figure - it is completely meaningless. Nothng
is being downconverted.

2) you must have the iTunes volume levelling set, as that is the ONLY
way that volume meta tags can be added to your files. SBS reacts to
these tags. You can turn this behaviour OFF at play time via the
Settings - Player - Audio ... volume adjustment in the Web UI.

Using FLAC and avoiding iTunes would be a big step in the right
direction to perational happiness :-) - however, from a pure audio
quality perspective there should be no difference.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio