By coincidence just noticed the same thing on my standard Classic
Squeezebox (playing through a separate DAC). I believe the Classic
can't throughput 24/96 but downsamples at the server.

The track info for a 24/96kHz before it is selected for playing shows
"Bitrate:3183kbps VBR".  Once the track is actually playing the same
info shows: "Bitrate:3183kbps VBR (Coverted to 705.6kbps ABR)".
This doesn't happen with 44.1 tracks so assumed this was an indication
it has been downsampled.

If that's so, then maybe that's what's happening with your Transporter
but if so there must be a setting somewhere to handle 24/96 without
downsampling....!

As far as volume adjustment is concerned you must have volume levelling
turned on somewhere in you ripping process -I replay gain.

--
ntom

SB3, Perpetual Technologies P1-A / P3-A, Naim82 pre + 4xNaim135 powers,
Martin Logan SL3's....(+ 2nd SB3 & 2xSB2's around the hus)