bobkoure;552175 Wrote:
> Looks like Rx and Tx pairs are coupled together with CSMA/CD, so the
> timings (length) still hold.
> Have you tried this with, say 1000' of UTP with a single device at
> either end? Did it work? What switches did you use?
No, in a network without hubs there is no connection between Rx and Tx.
As long as you run half duplex the CSMA/CD functions are still enabled
but there are no real collisions. The devices will consider it to be a
collision  if they detect something on Rx while sending on Tx, this is
however a "false positive". In full duplex the fact that no real
collisions can happen is used and the CSMA/CD is disabled.
>From a timing standpoint, the "collision length" in the type of
networks where real collisions may happen, or the length at which the
mechanism no longer works is roughly 600 ft between the nodes farthest
apart. So even if this single cable would be considered a collision
domain, it is still within that limit.
I haven't tried cables that long but with devices of decent quality at
each end, a cable within spec and careful termination I believe 500 ft
should work. Yes, it's roughly 50% over spec, but this is technology
that in my experience has a fair amount of margin. Cable quality in
particulat could be an issue that is difficult to check, I recently
read of someone who had to redo all the wiring in a new house since the
cheap CAT6 cable he bought was so way off spec that it hardly worked at
all.

--
alfista