audio1;563029 Wrote:

> erland, thanks for your hardware suggestions.  I take it all on board,
> but to clarify my aim; I consciously want to build and configure my own
> system, and I'm under no illusion this will save me time or money.  It's
> a matter of satisfaction.  I have already partially built up my own hifi
> system, and I'm fortunate to have the assistance of some technicians who
> are more clever than I.

Ok, the big problem with a computer and high quality audio as I've
understood is that there are too much electronics in a computer which
results in various kind of interference. Less electronics results in
less risk of interferences between the circuits. I'm no expert at this
so I really don't know what causes the interference but I suspect
things like the power supply unit and any fans or hard drives are good
candidates. I'm guessing it might also be possible to somehow shield
the audio circuits to minimize the risk and high quality audio circuits
are probably better than low quality. I'm sure you are already aware of
most of this and you are probably also aware of that it's not that easy
to design a computer with high quality audio output. Just getting a high
quality sound card is usually not enough.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))