paul44birch;566959 Wrote:
> Thanks for all the replys.  May have gone a little to much to Mp3
> copying but my initial question was about best way to get the flac
> files copied across to external hard drive as flac files plus artwork
> etc (ie just copy and paste, or drag across?).
>
> I will check out SyncToy.

I regularly rip using the multi-encoder facility of dbpoweramp, making
one flac file and one mp3 file (for use on portable devices).  As far
as I can tell, there is no barrier to using the multi-encoder to rip to
two separate flac files in separate places.  I don't know whether this
would appreciably slow the process, though it might.  There doesn't
seem to be a significant slow-down with the dual format (flac and mp3)
process.

As others have pointed out, though, if you are going to have to do some
tweaking of the tags or artwork, you will then have to do the tweaks
twice -- if you do the tweaking after each rip, then you just need to
copy the flac files to your external drive.

The problem then is to set up a system for incrementally copying the
new files to your external drive.  I find Second Copy to work very well
(http://www.secondcopy.com/).  It allows scheduled or manual backups,
using a variety of settings.  I use it for several purposes -- the two
main ones being copying changed files in my master folder (on an
external drive that is permanently connected to my main computer) to my
music server on the network,  and copying the music files to a set of
external hard drives that are rotated out to a safety deposit box at my
bank.

In effect I have three complete copies of my music -- 1. My main music
folder to which all new music is ripped, and occasional lossy downloads
stored; 2. the hard drive on my dedicated music server (a FitPC2); 3.
the backup drives stored in the safety deposit box at the bank.

If my house burns down, I'll still have the latter, and will lose only
the most recently ripped music.  I rotate them out of the safety
deposit box every couple of months.

R.

--
RonM