raldo;568040 Wrote:
> My "use case" was two living room zones controlled my JRiver Media
> Center. One zone: My HTPC (with 5.1 surround amplifier). A Second zone:
> also in the living room: An SB amplifier connected to active
> loudspeakers. Additionally, several zones: Outside, kitcen, bathrooms,
> all with active loudspeakers. A Duet controller could also be used for
> control. MC Would sync all etc.

I consider systems like JRiver as management software. Like with
embedded systems, today typically video players with included HD and
media server, you don't get any good results, outside a computer or a
television screen.

I.e. I manage my music data stored on a NAS with MediaMonkey. It's also
possible to link iTunes to the same network share, without doing any
harm (make the right settings) to the music data. The NAS, a QNAP also
runs a Squeezebox server and for convenience also a TwonykMedia server
a UPNP/DLAN DMS which serves photos and videos to our TV, but also to
the iPhone with PlugPlayer.

There are two key elements in such an installation:
One is the remote controller where we use iPeng on our iPhones; that's
really user friendly and quick. Just control music while you have
guests without any hustle! OK, if my iPhone is away, the SB Controller
let me do the same, half as fast as with iPeng.

The second is the NAS with the media servers. There it is important,
that I have a second NAS which makes a complete backup of all data.
Even less for the music, but all other data, especially our photos. In
the morning the NAS is off, and I switch my kitchen radio to
mysqueezbox.com.

--
Metazargo