iPhone;570606 Wrote:
> OK, I can understand the nostalgic or sensory loss as I still enjoy the
> ritual of preparing to play Vinyl. Having said that, the whole idea of
> the Squeezebox (or any digital media player) is to play digital files
> relieving us of the need to search or dig through CDs. I have
> discovered more old favorites since using Squeezebox, then in the last
> 15 years of playing CDs in a CDP. Also with a Controller, Touch, or
> iPeng, one can look at album covers. I enjoy iPeng in Portrait mode.
>
> Besides with the number of CDs I have, it was taking longer to find a
> CD just to play it then I spent listening to music. Plus the time to
> take it out, put it in the play, take it out, and put it back in place.
> Sure the RFID only requires me to 'find' it, but I could have already
> been listening using iPeng.
>
> The money spent on RFID tags and scanners could go toward purchasing
> more music. Its a novel idea, but if one is going to use a server
> anyway seems like a lot to go through just to play a CD.

I'm with iPhone.  From a technology geek perspective, it would be
really cool, but I don't think it would prove tremendously useful
outside of a very select few.  I think money and effort could be spent
on better things, like developing better tagging schemes, better
library database schema, and multiple library support.

--
maggior

Rich
---------
Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch.  SuSE 11.0 Server
running SqueezeBoxServer 7.5.0, MusicIP, and SqueezeSlave.
Current library stats: 33,060 songs, 2,656 albums, 484 artists.
http://www.last.fm/user/maggior