Thanks for all the good suggestions.  No offence intended to anyone, but
I think that Squeezebox is designed for geeks and iTunes is designed for
real people.  I am a geek, and for a long time I thought I was happy
scrolling through 1000 albums on my Squeezebox looking for something
that I was in the mood for.  And I thought that Squeezebox was great.
I bought one of the original SLIMP3's and I have been using
Squeezeboxes ever since.

My wife always refused to use the Squeezebox and I could never
understand why.  But then she introduced me to the wonderful world of
iTunes and Macs and I discovered what she has been trying to tell me
for years:  The engineers in Apple design their gadgets to work in a
way that is not only intuitive, but in a way that makes it easy for
real people to use.

Of course, I can "brute-force" squeezebox to allow me to do things like
allocate sub-gendres, or I can stoically scroll through my 1000 or
10,000 albums and say that I am happy.  But life can be better than
that.  With iTunes, I can create playlists of albums by simply clicking
and dragging on my computer, and I can easly change my playlists as my
moods change and as I buy and rip more CDs.  iTunes is designed for
real people and it makes life so easy.

I have been a fan of Squeezeboxes for many years, but I am starting to
realize that other products are moving faster than Squeezebox.  If
Apple develops a player like a squeezebox device that works with
iTunes, squeezebox will be history.

--
rodt