Airtunes has been around for a while.

However, I've never really been tempted to build a system with iTunes
as a 'server' application because it's not built to be one. It's a
foreground application with a GUI and can only stream at a time
(although that one stream can have many simultaneous endpoints).
Moreover, unless I can get a 500GB iPAD, it wouldn't be an appropriate
host for my music collection. Even if I could fit a large music
collection on a flash-based device, whenever I wanted to use a
different device to stream my music collection I'd need to have a copy
of my music collection there as well. It would be a major problem to
keep multiple copies in synch.

So, I clearly need a client-server approach, which the Airtunes/Airplay
ecosystem doesn't have. I am not aware that there are any plans to
change that.

--
dsdreamer