ymilner;577983 Wrote:

> An import from allmusic would greatly help; although I assume this is
> not free and might be a problem.

Unfortunately their license prices is outside our range, so I suspect
we won't see any official integration with allmusic. If you have ideas
of other similar sources that might be good to have an integration with
from a jazz perspective, please let me know. There are several sources
with open API's such as LastFM and musicbrainz.org but I'm not sure how
good these are for jazz music.

ymilner;577983 Wrote:

> Another challenge for me today is how to list all musicians on a
> certain record/track. Usually I'm mostly interested in a leading
> musician, so that Bill Evans trio records have just one artist - Bill
> Evans. In this case, I put complete trio details in the comment field,
> listing all participants and their instruments.
> However, in a lot of cases two or more musicians out of a certain combo
> are put into the artist field, so that SBS would list this album under
> each one of them. For me, the choice of putting the musician on to
> artist field together with a lead musician is up to the nature of an
> album/music, or personal preference about this specific artist.

Handling multiple artists won't be a problem, this is already the
plan.

How is jazz different from pop/rock in this regard ? Do you usually
search for a musician and less often for a group/band when searching
for jazz music ?
Is it common that a musician has performed in multiple bands/groups ?

For example, if you are listening to a track, do you usually want to
find something else by the same musician or something else by the same
band ?
For pop/rock, most people are just interested in the band but I suspect
jazz might be a bit different ?

ymilner;577983 Wrote:

> 3. Some provisioning for instrument shall be done; ideally instrument
> field shall be paired with artist field

How do you use instrument when searching for something ?
Is it mainly the lead instrument that is of interest or all instruments
used on a track ?

Are there many jazz musicians that play multiple instrument so you like
to find a specific artist but only his saxophone tracks ?

ymilner;577983 Wrote:

> I hope all of this makes sense, and helps make SBS an even better
> system...
Your comments helps a lot, it's exactly this kind of stuff I'm
interested to hear about.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))