mps;578726 Wrote:
> I think knowing sidemen is valuable, since I am often interested in
> knowing all the performers in a jazz track (e.g., play all of the
> tracks where Mel Lewis is the drummer), it would be nice to have a good
> place to put all of them along with the instrument they are playing.

Could you explain why you want the instrument.

I suspect most musicians (including jazz musicians) only play a single
instrument ?

So do you really want to know that Mel Lewis is the drummer or would it
be enough to know that Mel Lewis is participating ?

I was thinking that it might be useful to just be able to specify the
main instruments that contributes to the characteristics of the music.
So you for example can find jazz tracks with a saxophone.

mps;578726 Wrote:

> I embedded the performers in a new performer field, and the instrument
> information in the comment and then used CustomBrowse to create some
> nice menus, which have made playing Jazz a pleasure for me.

Could you explain which menu hierarchies you have setup in Custom
Browse and how you use it when playing jazz music ?

mps;578726 Wrote:

> There are a lot of other ways to accomplish this, maybe even with
> existing tags (e.g., put main artists in BAND and performers in
> ARTIST), but IMO the functionality needs to be included. It would also
> be nice to connect performers to instruments in the DB.

Don't worry about tags, we plan to have a user interface where you can
manage the metadata, so we aren't limited to what can be put inside
tags. It's more a question about how much metadata it's realistic that
users are willing to setup. Import possibilities from good metadata
sites will of course make it little bit easier.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))