Before I definitely ditched the telly I too, had a MythTV client/server
setup with a computer and wireless keyboard next to the TV. That was
the mythical convergence machine.
I was expensive, too hot, a little bit noisy, not stable enough, and
vastly too much distracting.
Every time a movie was getting a bit boring, I'd fire up the web,
answer to mail and so forth.

I got rid of it when the 1st AppleTV came out. Simplistic remote and
one goal in life: displaying movies well. Movie no good ? Quick, find
another one. Still no good ? Time to shut off the thing and do
something else. (Like listening to music on a decent stereo rig.)
A lot of focus, over-engineering and quality execution made it a fine
device. It's simple as that. So simple I equipped my parents with one,
they are in their 70's and are pleased with it.
An expensive device, but less expensive than the computer it replaced
at the time, and really rewarding.

These Revue demo really make me think of Mythtv. I really doubt the
kitchen-sink concept will gain real traction among the public at large.

The Revue is not going to be the only device of its kind, so I have my
doubts it will be over-engineered, hence over-priced, just of the sake
of running an SB server. There is a lot of pressure on price, now. $100
is expensive!

Meanwhile, it looks like the new ATV is an iPod/iPhone/iPad in
disguise. So it can be cheap *and* over-engineered. I expect it will
gain the game store and the ability to run apps.
With a little bit of luck, pippin will still be around to usher an
iPeng for Apple TV. The big digi-frame will be nice for parties.

I'm still holding on to my obsolete SB server and SB players. I don't
feel old, I feel wise.

--
epoch1970

Daily dose delivered by: 2 SB Classic (fw 130), 1 SB Boom (fw 50) •
SqueezeCenter 7.3.4 (Debian 5.0) with plugins: ContextMenu,
SaverSwitcher by Peter Watkins • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris
•  WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) •
FindArt, CDplayer by bpa • BBC iPlayer, SwitchPlayer by Triode •
PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • TrackStat by Erland Isaksson.