After further testing, I found out that the slimrio system doesn't
support well sampling frequencies above 44khz and that the faulty mp3's
had a higher frequency because I extracted them from one of my DVD.

I added the following line in custom-convert.conf

Code:
--------------------

  mp3 mp3 slimp3 *
        # IFB:{BITRATE=%B}D:{RESAMPLE=--resample %D}
  [lame] --mp3input --resample 44100 --silent -q $QUALITY$ --abr $BITRATE$
$FILE$ -

--------------------

this basically forced the resample to 44khz. That almost worked.
However, Squeezebox is complaining about the unsupported 'T' switch.

So I faked the following "T" switch below

Code:
--------------------

  mp3 mp3 slimp3 *
        # IFB:{BITRATE=%B}D:{RESAMPLE=--resample %D}T:{START=--quiet}
  [lame] --mp3input --resample 44100 --silent -q $QUALITY$ --abr $BITRATE$
$FILE$ -

--------------------

And it worked !

No more skipping!

the last questions are now:
1- how would I get rid of the 'T' switch requirement for that custom
mp3->mp3 transcode
2- Is it possible to set the %D value (sample rate/sec) to 44100 for
some players? It seems that this switch alone, which is present in the
base transcode line could have prevented the problem in the first
place...

anyone can help me at this point?

--
sle118