>I'm just wondering if the various artists logic works correctly?

Yes, it does work.

>I have many compilations and soundtracks where i set the albumartist
>tag to 'Compilation' or 'Soundtrack' accordingly - but still have the
>artist set correctly (so that it is correct on a track-by-track basis.
>
>However, for some reason squeezecenter (7.2.1) does not seem to work as
>expected.

What exactly are you expecting, and what are you seeing?

When you say you are setting the "albumartist" tag, what tag format are you
setting?  If it is id3, are you actually setting Band (called the TPE2 frame),
or an "Album Artist" tag?

Are you aware that SBS automatically detects albums as compilations if you
don't set an album artist tag, or that if you do set an album artist tag, the
album isn't therefore a compilation unless you set a Compilation tag?

Phil