simbo;602157 Wrote:
> QQ. What does Spotify have over Napster? Spotify=£10pm, Napster=£5pm?
>
> Aside from it maybe working on Friday evenings. ;-)

1. Dedicated iPhone, iPod Touch and Android applications that let you
browse music and create playlists over a wi-fi or cellphone
connection.

2. The ability to download playlists of tracks onto an iPhone, iPod
Touch or Android phone and play the music off line. I am not sure if
there is a limit to the number of tracks you can download. These are
DRM protected tracks, so you can only listen to them on the one device
- you cannot transfer or copy them.  This makes the music totally
portable for the car or where you do not have cell-phone or wi-fi
connection.  This is the "Napster killer" feature in my book.

3. Tracks are encoded at 320 kbps (IIRC Napster is 192).

4. A *Much* more user-friendly web interface (I have not tried the SB
app so cannot comment on that).

Er... thats it.

Napster gives you 5 included downloads for your £5.  Spotify does not
have that, but then again you can play music off-line anyway so the
benefit is limited.

--
TheLastMan

Matt

*SqueezeBoxes:* SB Duet (Controller + two receivers)
*Server:* Synology Diskstation 107+ NAS (with firmware 2.3-1157)
running Squeezebox Server 7.5.1 on Synology Package Manager
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, 2 x Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 as
access points
*Livingroom:* Receiver into Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver into Denon DM37 mini-system, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:* Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline. LPs ripped using Behringer
UCA202 USB into Windows XP PC