results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53800
Question: Should IPv6 be supported?

- Yes
- No
- I Don't Really Care
- What Is IPv6 Anyway?

krbonne;608169 Wrote:
> Hi,
> OK. let me rephrase. You cannot do this, without a public ipv4
> address.
>
> One thing that you have to keep in mind, is that once public
> IP-addresses have run out, you will be put behind a NAT of the ISP for
> your ipv4-to-ipv4 traffic. Do not expect that these "CGN" (Carrier
> Grade Nat) services will offer port-forwarding.
>
> The only way you can then have ipv4 peer-to-peer connectivity will be
> via some kind of relay. OK, you can get a connection via a VPN-service
> somewhere, but this actually is pretty much the same thing as "buying a
> public ipv4 address".
> Or you can get yourself a "business" subscription at your ISP -which
> includes a fixed ipv4-address- but do not complain if you need to pay
> (say) 20 euro a month extra for that.
>

> Why would you get throu all this problem is you can just move to ipv6
> and have full any-to-any connectivity between any device on the
> planet?
> - between your phone/tablet and your SB
> - between your SB and a shoutcast server operated by somebody on her
> private LAN-network at home
> - between your SB and the NAS of a friend on his home-LAN
> - between your SB and somebody elses in a peer-to-peer broadcasting
> network.
> - to receive ipv6 multicast stations (RP-embedded ipv6 multicast
> addressing allows ANY ipv6 router to act RP for a multicast-stream so
> everybody is able to start a radio-station using ipv6 multicast).
>
> If you just use your SB to listen to an internet-radio station of some
> large media-concern, ipv4 and nat and nat-after-nat will do just fine.
> But if you want to go beyond that, ipv6 is an opportunity which allows
> for all kind of new and decentralised services. Learn to use it and
> image what you can do with it.
>

> Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

The conditions here in the US are not what you are used-to.

I have had  a "public" static IP address for years. While I appreciate
the advances ipv6 will offer I don't think my service will be impacted
any time soon. If it is, I know who to call.

pski

real stereo doesn't just wake the neighbors, it -enrages- them.. It is
truly the Golden Age of Wireless