On 02/04/2011 08:50 AM, virgiliomi wrote:
> I would expect ANY ISP customer service to respond "What's that?".
> They're not usually the brightest of the bunch when it comes to the
> latest and greatest IT stuff.

Of course, which is why I stayed on the line to the second tier folks,
and asked them to connect me to the technical tier two folks.

> The clock is ticking, yes... but it's not doomsday yet. It's definitely
> time for companies making networked devices to begin putting IPv6
> support in though... it will be here before we all know it.

Its been past time. IPv6 is over a decade old. There has been lots of
feet dragging.

None of this will impact consumers for years. Linux, Windows and OS-X
have had dual stack support for years. No one has used it, so there may
be bugs, but the code is there, the design is there, it just has to be
rolled out.

Andy confirmed that the modern devices will get IPv6 support in the
future, the old ones, Classic, Transporter, etc. will never see it. I
don't expect this to be a problem for 99% of the customers.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/