quote from the original article:
"but the loudness war has resulted in music squashed to within a few
decibels of its life."

Yes, and hi-res releases seem to generally be mastered without that.
That alone makes them much more listenable. The recent uncompressed
hi-res remaster of Band of the Run is a good example. I can definitely
hear more detail and a warmer tone on the hi-res. Because of it not
being overly compressed there's also a lot of dynamics. It invites you
to turn it up and listen loudly, b/c it sounds better that way. Not
true of the standard CD. This may all be do to better mastering and a
lower noise floor, and not some inherent "superiority" of the format,
but I don't care. I can hear the music better and it's more enjoyable
to listen to. So I don't see how I'm being "fooled" by the hi-res
release.

I've got some jazz and classical releases that sound wonderful on CD.
Can't really say the same for much redbook pop/rock. So the hi-res
versions often sound better to me.

I have no argument if you want to tell me that standard CD is all I
need and can hear IF DONE PROPERLY.  But apparently it isn't done
properly most of the time.

And I have no illusions that the music conglomerates are going to start
putting out extremely high quality standard CDs. So the fact that CD's
can sound as good as hi-res is irrelevant in practical terms, b/c those
CD's don't exist, for the most part.

Even the Boston Audio Society paper referred to acknowledges that
"one trend became obvious very quickly and held up throughout our
testing: virtually all of the SACD and DVD-A recordings sounded better
than most CDs—
sometimes much better."

So I'll keep buying hi-res. But before you call me silly and a fool,
just change the name from "hi-res" to "properly mastered" and then we
won't have anything to argue about.

--
firedog

Tranquil PC fanless WHS server running SqueezeServer; SB Touch slaved to
Empirical Audio Pace Car; MF V DAC3, MF X-150 amp, Devore Gibbon Super 8
Speakers; Dual 506 + Ortofon 20 (occasional use); sometimes use PC with
M-Audio 192 as digital source. SB Boom in second room. Arcam CD82 which
I don't use anymore, even though it's a very good player.