I think most of your problems stem from running the internal server on
the SB Touch, which has very minimal compute resources (533 MHz ARM11
and 128MB RAM) to share between being both a client and a server. Not
withstanding that the USB disk is physically connected to the touch,
the system still uses a full client-server architecture within the one
box to provide the music browsing, selection and playback.

You've said very clearly that you don't want to spend $160 on a NAS to
get the system working, and I can understand that. I would, however,
suggest an Intel Atom based low-power server as being the minimum
necessary to get trouble-free enjoyment out of a squeezebox system. I
used to use an ARM9 based NAS, but it was too slow for my long term
needs.  Trying to get the internal ARM11 core in the SB Touch to do
double duty as both client and server is just asking too much, IMO.

I think your troubles with the BOOM are, however, unrelated and may be
due to an actual hardware issue.

You presumably are using an Intel-based computer to write your posts,
so you probably have such a machine at your disposal. As a temporary
measure, I recommend installing Squeezebox Server on that to see what
kind of performance and reliability you could be enjoying. If that goes
well, swallow hard and build or buy a small Atom-based headless server
especially for hosting your music collection. I like to use the
Vortexbox distro for that, but other Linux distros or Windows Home
Server may be a good solution too.

--
dsdreamer