Soulkeeper;623385 Wrote:
> Yes. It seems the Squeezebox Boom is the safest bet for you. (Although
> the Radio may work fine for you too. This forum is problem- and
> solution-oriented, and hardly representative for the rest of the
> world.)

Thanks for the tips, I'll check it out.

Alarm function: tick
Snooze button: tick
Wake to Internet radio: tick
If Internet is down play an alternative tone: tick
Auto-dimming display: tick

Looking good so far.

BBC World Service: tick sort of, but very unclear. You can listen to "9
BBC stations" but they don't say which ones. And you need an account to
download the app to check it out.

Quote from another forum: "I have been unable to receive the BBC World
Service on my Squeezebox Boom since the major software update last
fall. When I contact support during that time and again in January 2010
I received the response that they were aware of the problem, but there
was no timetable for this to be corrected. Is there a plan to bring the
BBC-WS to those that have lost access? Can we rollback the software to a
much earlier release to regain access???"

Quote: BBC (not all streams supported outside of UK)

So what about the BCC World Service? Sorry to be so specific, but
that's all I really care about. The other 1000+ streams don't interest
me much at all.

Works without PC switched on: unclear to me I'm afraid, because of this
World Service issue.

As you can probably tell, I get so frustrated by this.

"Connects to your home network to access music stored on your computer
via Logitech® Squeezebox™ Server , or Internet radio and music
services via mysqueezebox.com"

Squeezecenter: nope don't want that. I turn off/standby my computers
Squeezenetwork: Looks OK. I leave my access point switched on.

So I can use Internet radio via mysqueezebox.com. tick I can live with
that.

Auto-switching between the Squeezecenter & Squeezenetwork if one source
isn't available and I want to change in the future: nope. You have to do
it manually. Shame but I can live with that.

So I'm 95% convinced, but it isn't perfect.

So I still have one very specific question that remains unclear to me
even after all this research:

Can I pick up the BBC World Service from a Squeezebox Radio connected
via a Dutch Internet provider if I am located outside of the UK without
turning my computer on (i.e. not via AlienBBC on a PC), because they've
just turned off the MW broadcast on 648KHz.

Thanks very much for your help and patience!

--
Martin77