bobkoure;626380 Wrote:
> Can you communicate with a plugin on the server?

Yes, if the plugin provides a CLI interface, which most of the newer
ones do since they need it if they want to provide a UI on a
Squeezeplay based box.

> If you can, something like Erland's SQL plugin might be useful (just do
> whatever you need to convert the user's input into a single query, then
> pass the query via CLI

Theoretically, yes. But then it would make more sense to write a real
search plugin.

I don't think Erland's SQL plugin is currently made for it and then
you'd have to live with all the changes to the database that happen on
the server side all the time. iPeng can't be tailored to one server
version like the SB firmware is, it has to support a full range of
server versions and Logitech have the nasty habit of doing all kind of
changes even in minor releases.

> You're certainly right about server query performance being suboptimal.
> There's the hope that SQLite might be faster, but each time I try a
> version of 7.6 it's not perceptibly so (but, to be fair, I've optimized
> MySQL performance a bit)
I believe SQLite is faster on slower systems. Generally, 7.6 has become
much faster but that's more due to optimized queries and stuff like
artwork handling and scanner being rewritten than sheer database
performance.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com