miguelk;627469 Wrote:
> Hoping someone can help me with an ongoing problem.  I had been having
> this problem with my squeezebox receiver, and just replaced it with a
> new Touch as i thought (hoped) the problem might be related to an
> insufficient-size buffer.  However, the problem remains with the
> Touch.
>
> The problem is that playback will often (but not always) stop after the
> first track of an album is played.  Eventually the second track will
> start, sometimes after about a minute or so.  I had thought that the
> problem was bandwith-related, as I am playing back FLAC files and my
> main wireless router is quite far away from the squeezebox in question,
> and I use a repeater to extend the coverage (I get a signal level of
> close to 100%, although I realize that using the repeater halves the
> bandwith).  However, strangely enough, if I'm in the middle of the
> first track and advance to the second track, there's no delay--the
> second track immediately starts.  I can also fast-forward within the
> first track without delay.  That's why I'm fairly sure that the problem
> is NOT a bandwith problem, although obviously i can't be certain and
> don't have the option of using an ethernet connection to test it in
> that location.
>
> Another thing worth mentioning is that when this happens (i.e., when
> the first track ends and during the period of delay before the second
> track starts), whatever I'm using as my controller (sometime iPeng,
> sometimes a remote laptop) becomes non-responsive--i can't just force
> the second track to start.  It seems that at some point the
> communication between the server and player is interrupted.
>
> I should also mention that I had used this setup for years without this
> problem.  I believe it began to happen after the the last major Squeeze
> Server upgrade (when it went from from 7.3 to 7.4, I believe).
>
> Has anyone else had this problem, and figured out how to solve it?
>
> Thanks!

I would be inclined to move the player near the router and connect it
via an ethernet cable. If you still experience the problem then you can
be pretty sure it's not network related. If you don't then I would hook
up via wifi at that distance. After this 15 minute experiment you'll at
least know a lot more than you do now.

--Tom

--
Tom Hutcheson