On 10/17/05, NickM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Geoff, your work around sounds OK - except, I use JR's MediaCenter to
> rip & tag - and for the moment, I can't figure out how to edit the tags
> that you suggest.
>
> Having a quick look up on ID3 formats, I think (someone please correct
> me if I understood this) that DISC is a standard tag, whereas PARTINSET
> and TPOS are advanced tags.
>
> I try not to use anything but standard tags so that I will be
> compatible with players of the future...
>
> I guess that SlimServer should work with the standard DISC tags?

Hi Nick,

I think you're right - PARTINSET and TPOS are not standard tags.  I'm
guessing, but I would be very surprised if other "players of the
future" refused to play your tracks because they didn't recognise all
the tags.
If you add both DISC and PARTINSET, you should be ok for both
scenarios, I would think?  At the very least, you could just remove
PARTINSET in the future.

That said, it would be nice if SlimServer just used the more standard
DISC tag :)

To answer the question about adding the tags; I'm not familiar with
JR's MediaCenter, but you could use MP3Tag for this part of the
process; it's free, customisable, and you might find it useful for a
bunch of other stuff.  If you decide to go that route, let me know if
you need any tips.

Cheers
Geoff