Just to confirm that the 'intelligent power strip' solution doesn't work
- tried that myself with no luck.

I also tried an X10 setup but it only worked properly about 80% of the
time, so was sufficiently annoying and clunky that I eventually
abandoned it.

Ended up doing the same thing you're suggesting - got a Boom for the
bedroom, and put the SB3 in the kitchen, connected to a Tivoli Model
One Piano Black FM radio (
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00407IW2W/ ) which has a line-in.
Brilliant audio quality and matches the SB3 perfectly in looks and
dimensions (SB3 sits on top). Have to physically turn on the Tivoli
whenever I want to listen to the Squeezebox, but this has proven to be
absolutely not an issue (and I'm quite lazy ;) )

I'd suggest just trying it that way first, and then worry about the
auto amp-switching later, if you find it really bothers you. Although I
suppose that only makes sense if your amp is going to be easily
accessible..?

--
oktup