RockinFX;635505 Wrote:
> OK, OK ... that's possibly a broader question in my case, but I mean as
> regards a Squeezebox-based system. All I really want is 2.1 channel
> audio through an existing AVR which has both wired and wireless
> capability by streaming FLAC audio files and internet radio from and/or
> controlled by my laptop to a single room.
>
> I have been through the FAQs and forum posts and I am still somewhat
> lost. I don't need or want anything with a speaker and I really think
> Squeezebox does way more than I need it to do, but ... I had to ask. Is
> there a Squeezebox solution for this config (or do I need a NAS or some
> other "appliance")??
>
> Thanks!

The SqueezeBox system is easy:

You need the server SqueezeboxServer software (SBS), which can run on
any Windows, Appls or Linux computer; or is embedded in the SB Touch
product. The music collection (pretty much any format) is controlled,
organized and streamed by the SBS.

Then you have clients. The ones that come probably closest to your
requirements are the Touch and the Duet. I own a Duet, but find it the
least appealing of all players, especially now that better control
interfaces than the controller exist. I find myself using my iPad
instead of the Controller all the time.

Buy a Touch. Install SBS on your laptop... or copy your music
collection to a drive and connect it to the Touch directly... and off
you go.

I started with the Squeeze system in 2005 I think. I still find it the
most versatile proposition in this market - from audiophile to utter
portability it has covered every need I have ever had.

--
pablolie

...pablo
Server: MiniITX build w/Intel DH61DL & i3-2100T - Ubuntu 11.04 - SBS
7.5.4
Sources: SB3 (3), SB Boom (3), Duet (1), Radio (1), Accuphase DP65v CD
(used as DAC mostly)
Amplifiers: Accuphase E306v - Creek OBH21/22
Loudspeakers: Ceeroy 3-way tower (tuned) - Audioengine 5/S8 - Acoustic
Energy Aego M
Headphones: Grado SR-1