RockinFX;635597 Wrote:
> The one thing that sounds sub-optimal is (if I understand correctly) the
> rescanning/restructuring of the connection and the library if the server
> goes down.  I run World Community Grid 24/7 so the laptop is almost
> always on, but there are times when I need an update or (more often) a
> rare, flightless parrot in New Zealand belches and our "robust" local
> grid goes down for hours and hours.
>
> Is this (server reboot) much of an issue?  I have ~160 GB of audio and
> I don't relish the idea of having to wait for a scan of it all very
> often.

Which post above is that in response to?

Would you be running Squeezebox Server on a computer on your network,
or are you thinking of using the server that runs on the Touch?

Rebooting a computer/NAS system running Squeezebox Server is no
problem. The library is not rescanned when the system starts. Scanning
the library is a manual thing. You launch a rescan when you add new
music or make changes to existing files.

However, if you run the internal server on the Touch, this is not the
case. It will rescan the attached library when it starts up, and it's
best to wait until this scan finishes before using the system, as it
swamps the Touch completely while scanning. That's just one of the many
negatives about running the internal server, and why I don't recommend
using it unless you absolutely have to.

--
JJZolx