howie.stone;638171 Wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> Right now I'm using a S/B classic with all my music files stored on an
> external Samsung  1.5 TB Hard drive, with the S/B server running  on my
> desktop computer. I'm thinking of changing to a NAS. But I have some
> basic questions.
>
> I. Is it a good idea?
> 2. Which brand (I can see there's an old thread which recommends
> Vortexbox)
> 3. How easy is it to set up? (I'm not really a techie)
> 4. How do you do backup?
> 5. Will I still be able to use the advanced search feature in the S/B
> server?
> 6. How does it all wire up?  Wired link to the computer and wirelessly
> to the S/B?
>
> Cheers for any help
>
> Howie
1. maybe, if powerful enough and can easily run SbS
2. I love my vortexbox and I have a readynas duo that cost more and is
basically useless for the purpose I bought it for.
3. Vortexbox is plug and play. from unpacking the box, I was up and
running in less than 10 minutes. Took longer to then scan all my music
files, but truly plug and play.
4. Vortexbox has a USB backup procedure. just plug in an external USB
drive to vortexbox and hit "backup" on the web interface for the
vortexbox.  Or, since it shows up as a drive on my local network, I can
plug a usb drive into my laptop and use windows file explorer to copy
files from the vortexbox to the usb drive connected to my laptop.
5. yes.
6. connect NAS (vortexbox) to your router with ethernet cable. Then
your router can talk to your SB players via WIFI (or ethernet if you
want to wire the SB players).

First, keep in mind that a NAS is a computer, just one without a
keyboard or monitor. Usually running some sort of linux OS. Use the
search function on the third party forums and you'll find lots of info.
There are lots of types of NAS units. The key is that many (most?) of
them are very underpowered for running SbS. I have a ReadyNas DUO. It
plays just fine, but was painful to use in terms of browsing artists,
selecting songs, etc. (about a 60,000 track library). There are more
powerful ReadyNas units. Key is you really need an x86 processor to be
powerful enough.

A NAS plugs into your router with an ethernet cable and then becomes
available on your local network. You can copy files there are stream
from your NAS, etc.

In my case, I abandoned using the ReadyNas for my SB stuff and
purchased a Vortexbox Appliance. It is plug and play, is fast, and goes
for months and months without so much the need for a reboot. Stick it
anywhere in your house (closet, basement) where you can connect it to
your router with ethernet and you'll be up and running in minutes.  And
although not really advertised as such, it does everything a NAS does. I
store other files (documents, folders) on my vortexbox and these files
are available to all users on my local network.

--
garym