howie.stone;638171 Wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> Right now I'm using a S/B classic with all my music files stored on an
> external Samsung  1.5 TB Hard drive, with the S/B server running  on my
> desktop computer. I'm thinking of changing to a NAS. But I have some
> basic questions.
>
> I. Is it a good idea?
> 2. Which brand (I can see there's an old thread which recommends
> Vortexbox)
> 3. How easy is it to set up? (I'm not really a techie)
> 4. How do you do backup?
> 5. Will I still be able to use the advanced search feature in the S/B
> server?
> 6. How does it all wire up?  Wired link to the computer and wirelessly
> to the S/B?
>
> Cheers for any help
>
> Howie

Unless you have a curiosity to learn something new, or have endless
time to spend to fix broken things you don't understand or have
experience with, I'm not sure why you would consider running SBS on
anything besides a Win or Mac machine.

If you're looking to reduce power consumption, there are lots of cheap,
low power Win PCs that are pretty hard to beat. Also, you can turn it
off or put it to sleep when not in use.  "Off" is a pretty low power
drain.

A lot of the techies in the community have had fun spending hours/days
to get the software to run on new hardware platforms (like NAS devices
and plugs) but those approaches seem unsuitable for the general
population who would rather spend that same time listening to music or
doing something else.

--
Goodsounds