"Although, the ability to use the replaygain value from slimserver (6.2)
as a variable in convert.conf, I still think might be useful, if it's
possible.  Is there someplace to look in the documentation for a list
of those variables?"

I was hoping to do this exact thing! I want to be able to plug the
replaygain value in slimserver into the --scale option of LAME while
transcoding. This way I would get replaygained mp3 streams from
slimsever independent of file type as long as the source files
replaygain tags are recognized by slimserver. However I have not seen
a response to my previous posts on the subject so I do not know if
this is even possible, Steven